26 December 2007

1999 Haiwan Yi Wu Beeng

I acquired this sample as a gift from owner of Czech teashop Longfeng.cz. Since it was approximately 9 grams, I decided to use whole sample with a slightly bigger (200 ml) yixing teapot.

As the owner of the teashop claimed, this beeng was one of the first produced by Haiwan tea factory.

The scent of dry leaves reminded me of 2000 Cheng Guang-He Tang "Yi Wu Yieh Sheng" brick sold by Guang. While I like YiWu pu-erh very much, I'm not a big fan of that particular brick, so I approached this tea with caution.

As you can see from photos, the leaves were still pretty green, which could mean, that the tea went through clean dry-storage. I believe, that this particular beeng was stored in Czech Republic last few years slowing down the ageing. And since in the Central Europe is the weather pretty dry, it probably means, that my tea will also age slowly.

After a short rinse in first cup of tea I immediately saw, how clear was the liquor - it went through a very good kill-green step, indeed. The aroma of the tea also reminded me of the CGHT brick, but I felt it a little less boring, livelier. The tea was sweet, with of woody and floral feeling. No smokiness at all. Aftertaste was long lasting (I still feel it in my mouth), fresh, filling the whole mouth.

It was a sample, so the leaves were chopped and quite green for being nearly 8 years old. Oh yeah, dry storage.

I liked a tea a lot, it lasted about 8 great and then other 4 very good infusions. Should I buy this cake? Well, if it is available, probably yes, one to drink. It is a bit expensive (about USD 100), but the quality is clearly visible. Fortunately for me, the cake is not available to buy, so I will not be tempted.

On the other hand, I acquired one whole 1998 Haiwan YiWu cake (made under CNNP license), so I hope, that it will be pretty good, too.

8 comments:

Petr V said...

Hi Tuo cha tea (Alfi). that's great web page (but newborn)...
AD Haiwan 99 Yi Wu beeng cha - Yes, I tasted this tea, and I saied - great.

Anonymous said...

I tried this one today and I like it. I have not a lot experiences with aged pu, so i cant say if it was great or just average. I have a question...is it characteristic to the aged sheng or to the sheng of this age, that it starts with a "cellar taste" and later it developes to more refined notes?

Tuo Cha Tea said...

Yes, I found it pretty common.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your answer. I wrote somewhere on http://jirka.oukej.cz, that2000-Yi-Wu-Zheng-Shan-Aged is the worse tea i have ever tasted. In the first five steepings ( i didnt continue) I found mainly this cellar taste together with mint. I took the leaves, that were very loose on the edge of the cake. Do you think, that it was the reason for it? Or is the tea just mainly minty/"cellary" ? I may give it another chance...

Anonymous said...

The leaves also looked much more dark than by the Haiwan Yi Wu, very dark brown.

Petr V said...

2Vojtěch: I have Yi Wu Zheng Shan 00 too, and I think that You are right with little odor in first two infusions, but I think that this odor will evaporate in a few months (in my tea is less now than after buy). But I don't think that it is ,,cellar odor'', in my opinion it is ,,medical'' odor.
You sold this pu-erh to Alfi?

Anonymous said...

medical? I think It could be described in this way as well. Or do you think it smells other than the Haiwan? Maybe I dont remember it well...I still have it. Jirka was interested in buying it, but we havent met yet. I dont no if it evaporates. If it does, there is no reason for selling it.

Anonymous said...

I read something about shicang and the taste of this tea seems to fit to what I read. Do you think, that it was wet-stored? You have more than a tong of the above-mentioned cake so i suggest you drink it quite often. Do you think, it changed a lot in the last few years?