25 April 2010

2009 Xi-Zhi Hao Jing Gu minibeeng

A good sheng beeng, at last!

Or, according to the small size - a good sheng sample, at last! (© by Hobbes)

This is one of the two xiao (mini) beengs from the Xi Zhi Hao gift set sold by Hou De. According to the description, this is from Jing Gu area, same, as the 2007 Pu Zheng beeng. Unlike MarshalNs experience with Jing Gu teas, the Pu Zheng is one of my favorites. Expensive, yet very solid pu-erh.

2009 Xi-Zhi Hao Jing Gu minibeeng

I really like this pygmy beeng. The mao cha it's made from is said to be from 2100m high ancient plantations near the Daoist temple "Da Shi Si". I believe this claim - the leaves are whole, big and strong. This is the fourth year tea trees are harvested in this area and they still possess some kick and character.

As I see it, Mr. Chen made this tea as a "gift tea", designed with less orthodox tea drinkers in mind, so we can expect a pleasant experience, not an overpowering one. No smokiness, slight bitterness, good acidity, thick soup with peach notes. On the other hand, the tea isn't powerless or bland and has nice and clean aftertaste.

I believe this is one of the better teas Xi Zhi Hao made after the first productions in 2005. And here is a proof of my appeal for this tiny and young sheng - I'm used not to drink the same tea more than once a week, and yet there's the same beeng after ten days.

2009 Xi-Zhi Hao Jing Gu minibeeng

To be continued... with the shu xiao beeng from the same set. And then, my thoughts on the whole gift set.

3 comments:

pu-erh tea said...

PuErh Tea divided in two types: Raw PuErh Tea and Ripe PuErh Tea. Ripe PuErh Tea is more suitable for protect the stomach, because Ripe PuErh Tea more warm, will not stimulating the stomach.

Daniela said...

You have a wonderful blog. Because you are a tea lover I hope you will find interesting the website for Darjeeling tea. They have a very large choice of teas and samples.
I would be happy if you could write a review of some of these rich and healthy teas. Do let me know how we can organise this. http://www.darjeelingteaxpress.com

Praveen Saanker said...

I like your post very much , i like to read this article post