28 January 2008

2006 Tea Expo Memorial "Hun Tie" Xiao Beeng

Today I was pretty tired, so I decided to drink only something "normal", so I decided to drink the last pieces of my 2006 Tea Expo Memorial Minibeeng. The particular tea is still available at Hou De for relatively reasonable price.



This pu-erh is medium compressed, processed and made by Changtai Tea Factory, just like the 2005 Southeast Asia Memorial Cake. But while the 2005 cake is very heavily compressed, not very suitable to age in dryer climate, the 2006 minibeeng is of medium compression.

As Guang wrote, this beeng was blended by Mr. Huang Chuan-Fang and the minibeeng was aimed to re-create the traits of aroma/taste of 50's Hun Yin Tie Beeng. Well, we will see if Mr. Huang succeeded in next 50 years.

Dry leaves are OK, nothing spectacular, but good enough. Tea liquor is orange, I believe it's a bit darker than the photo shows.

The tea is strong and pretty bitter, leaving long aftertaste. The tea isn't that strong (may I say brutal?) as another creation of Mr. Huang Chuan-Fang, the 2007 5th International Tea Expo Memorial Cake, but still leaves tickling tongue and fresh mouth feeling. No smokiness at all.



This minibeeng may not be the best tea around, but still easily outruns most of the pu-erh currently available. I'm still playing with the thoughts to purchase one tong of ten minibeengs. Hmm...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog Alfi, thank you for the reviews. I ordered this one a few days ago together with 2005 1st SoutEast Asia Pu-erh Trade Memorial Cake and with a few sampes. It is my first order from Houde.

Tuo Cha Tea said...

I found the 2005 Memorial cake a bit too compressed, but it's still a solid tea.

Anonymous said...

I am not going to let it age, so i dont mind the high compression.

Anonymous said...

Now I understand what you were talking about. Its really a bit too compressed, not so much as a xiaguan tuocha, but its not easy not to destroy the nice leaves.

~ Phyll said...

Hmmm...My 2005 Memorial cake is loosely compressed (I just had it yesterday night). The dry leaves literally comes off of the beeng easily. The 2006 mini beeng, on the other hand, is compressed much harder. Funny that you have the opposite situation.

I like the 2005 and the 2006. Not bad. I found the 2005 to have a sweet aftertaste in the back of the throat. The 2006 is stronger in terms of caffeine, to me. I wakes me up real well when I'm feeling tired.

The 2007 (to commemorate Pasadena gathering) is not worth the paper it is wrapped in, I thought. Too smoky and harsh.

A thoughtful review. Thank you.

Tuo Cha Tea said...

I like the 2007 5th Pu-erh beeng. It's true, that this tea is smoky and harsh, but it's also very powerful, long lasting with great aftertaste.

~ Phyll said...

Hmmm...I remember being disappointed with the 2007 cake. I was thinking "Why did they make such a bad tea for remember the US event, but decent teas for the previous events?" I haven't tried it again for a while now.

Gingko said...

I notice this blog was written in 2008 and wonder what you guys think of this tea now. I personally feel this tea was made to age and 2013 might be a better time to evaluate it than 2008, but might still be a bit early.